Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Dessert

Hi all, tryig to keep up on the blog ... i can only capture probably 1% of what i see and think on this trip ... i wish you could experience it all ... its amazing ... pics at bottom ...
-----

I'm using less pictures in the blog because they are such a pain to add in. To see all of them go to my facebook photo albums. I am "Peter Joseph Puccio III" ... there are a lot of us ...
-----

Rosie and i were reminiscing one day via text and she asked me where "cold and ice" came from. Every night the girls would ask for a drink, like all children seeking a few more moments awake! I would always make a big deal out of it and say do you want cold water or hot? They'd laugh and say cold daddy. And I'd say with ice in it? And they would laugh and say yes cold and ice. This became a ritual and the final proof of the day that i love them.



Thought of the day for my Rosie Flower: "Make a big deal out of things, it makes life better."



Now i am ready to be corrected. Have at it girls.
-----



I was sitting in the sun the other day overlooking San Diego Harbor in the sun just thoroughly enjoying life and i thought this must be some kind of a sin. Enjoying life this much has to be a sin? It must be at least selfish?



I think the proper question is how can i enjoy life this much every day? Its an all attitude. Or better yet; when in my life was life this great and exciting and fulfilling? Get me back Mr Wizard. Who can recite that? Trizzle trazzle trizzzle trone time for this one to go home?
-----



I gave Dan Rutherford the honor of calling a song of the day: "Leaving Las Vegas by Cheryl Crow.
-----



Oh i must re-tell about the hotel in Blithe California called the "Ocean View". After spending two weeks riding along the Pacific Ocean and having actual ocean views. I stayed up late more than once at a fire pit watching first the sun then the moon drop into the sea. This just cracked me up. I can imagine a person complaining that they can't see the ocean from their room when they are hundreds of miles from the sea in a god forsaken dessert heat valley of 113.
-----



For my Boat Riojas family ... imagine riding through the f-ing dessert, the cities report 113 but in the middle of that dessert its a lot hotter than that. I soak my shirt in the sink at rest stops and gas stations to be cool for a while and in 5 or 10 minutes its dry as a bone. This is the hottest place in the country and the hottest time of the year and its hot. I ride along imagining the boat, the cold water of lake Washington, standing on the back and when my cigar is finally gone in i go. How i would love that today. I really cannot wait to get back on the boat.

I'm in St. George Utah. Going around the northwest corner of the grand canyon up through Zion Ntl park and Bryce Canyon.
-----


I was stopped at the side of the road taking pictures and this car stopped an out came a man from India. I worked with so many from India at Microsoft and went to India a couple years ago and it was so nice talking to them. The man was like, yes i said like Gina, he was like, "we want go grand Canyon.". I asked him his name and repeated it rather well for an American thank you. He had a map and pointed. I explained, summed up for Mrs. Sones., he looked depressed. I said listen, i am on the same route as you, you should go where i am going and i described Zion and Bryce and my plans. He was very happy and excited as he drove off. Now today and tomorrow whatever i see and however great it is i will imagine these two when they went through. These little encounters are so fun on the road.

Song of another day: "I Just Want to Celibrate" I think its Sly and the Family Stone (Dayton!? I always knew you Stones were great musicians!!!
-----


Imagine riding through this dessert and heat. The edge of the Grand Canyon. There are sooooo many times i wish i could stop and get a picture and can't, its so amazing. Today i rode up out of the Las Vegas dessert into the high dessert above the Grand Canyon. There was a spot where there were so many colors, like in the Painted Dessert. Unbelievable canyon i rode through just gorgeous. But one spot on came Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs." This is one of the songs of my past stoner days. Go listen to that and imagine the scene and the heat, so hot probably 110 in the dessert. was surreal. Its the song of today.







There's something about doing things most would not or could not do that I love. Like walking home barefoot 10 miles 2 years ago at seafair. Not many would ride through the heat of this dessert in the hottest time of the year and the hottest part of the country and the hottest time of the day, has to be 110! I am actually amazed, I knew i could take it when iwas young in college cause i had only a motorcycle in college and i did it many days. But I'm old now and wondered. And i wondered about the Harley. Its a Sportster 1200, only the 2nd smallest Harley. I did have it serviced just before the dessert, which was smart, but the bike is fine. This is fun.

Did i mention the easiest thing to ignore is not cold? Early in the year on Jesse's boat in May, opening day, I started jumping in the lake. (Hint: suffering cold in May makes June so much nicer.) People would cringe and aks if i am crazy? I'd say, "cold is the easiest thing to ignore." I was thinking pain, much harder to ignore than cold. I've ignored extreme pain you would not believe if i told you. But anyway, I was wrong. Heat is easier to ignore than cold i believe. This is certainly the test. You cannot find hotter in the US.
-----

Its really amazing to ride the whole Pacific west coast of the US, then head into the heat of the dessert, then up into the mountains of southern Utah, and then (this is future) the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, then Phoenix, my old home college city, then ???. Amazing what this does to you. I really thought i' be able to capture it and blog it and write it. I can't. You need to do it.



Now let me add a few choice pictures ... you will have to imagine the ones i couldn't stop and take!



No comments:

Post a Comment