Monday, June 29, 2009

Back from the boondocks

Hello all again,

I have been on the Pacific Coast camping by the sea near San Francisco for the last three days with no connectivity at all. It’s been very very nice. I remember someone asking me on Saturday what time it was. I sorta looked at them and said, slowly, i have no idea and i don't really care. I haven't checked the time in days. Its just not important out here. More important is the sun, and specifically when will it go down. Before it slips away i must have a campsite and be settled for the night. Last Friday i let it get too late and then could not find a campground available.


Anyways ... here are some notes i've been taking.

The place where i stayed for two days on the ocean was called "Ocean Cove. It is a private owned and run by a dad and his two sons. They went the extra mile for me toget me firewood when i rolled in about 10:30 at night. They made my first night enjoyable by the fire by the sea.










The sights of the stars, the crescent moon, the ocean, the camp fire were unbelievable. I lay back and look up at the stars and there are a zillion with the Milky Way galaxy clearly visible. I look at the moon shining bright across the ocean and then my campfire below that. These words are pathetic to describe these scenes. The night in the Ocean Cove campsite a little north of Jenner was unbelievable. I asked for a shooting star like I ask the clouds to part for us or the Bald Eagles to fly over Jesse’s boat on Lake Washington and within a couple minutes the stars obliged. I saw three shooting stars that night. The moon shining on the ocean was awesome. The whole night was just unbelievable.

A lady drove by in campground head out the window yelling and you have you computer too!? you have everything!

I met Doug and Tony. They made me Abalone and Rock fish for dinner. Doug, has a road bike, comes here to dive for Abalone. A nice abalone dinner would cost around $75. And that is raised abalone that is about half legal limit of 7 inches. Abalone is a mussel. It doesn't take or smell like fish. It is smooth and tender and soooo good. Doug made me a dinner with Abalone, rock fish, fried potatoes and green beans cooked in bacon. So here I am camping roughing it with no hot food in the campsite and then I get served an expensive gourmet meal caught that morning and cooked by Doug who loves the food and does it right. He demanded i sit in his chair next to the table thing they packed and eat with a napkin and cold beer. It was a wonderful meal absolutely delicious. Now this will cost me in the long run because I'll always be looking to have abalone and that will be expensive.

On Saturday i sat at the top of a little cliff overlooking this little cove by the sea and thought about Jesse and my friends on the boat on Lake Washington. I imagined myself standing on the back of the boat as i had planned. I couldn’t stand on the rock but i sat on the edge dangling my feet over the cliffs and listened to my "boat" music. My fav was Sly and the Family Stone Medley … I love the guy at the beginning that “sings” or yells, “Dance to the music, dance to the fucking music!!!” Here is a pic and a video ...


Oh yes, I did write a book. The one I’ve been talking about writing all my life, my kids will know. It’s about 70% complete. I will tinker with it and think about it and fine tune it the rest of the trip.

Here are the Songs and Thoughts of the day for the last three days …

Sunday June 28th
Song: “Orion” by Rodrigo Y Gabriella
Thought: The most important things in my life are my children.

Saturday June 27th
Song: Sly and the Family Stone - Medley
Thought: “Best way to finish something is to start.”

Friday June 26th
Song: Jack Johnson “Wasting Time
Thought: It’s so easy to waste a day. (so the next day I used to write a book)

Some of the best pics over the last three days …

1 comment:

  1. The Don,

    Looks like you are making your way even without me on point! Going fishing tomorrow...getting the urge to kill! Growing weaker, while Charlie's growing stronger in the jungle! You be safe out there amongst those English!

    ReplyDelete